Thursday, July 25, 2013

The London Review







Hi folks, 
Hi Leute, 

I really wanted to post this earlier, but I returned from London with a bad cold. Don´t worry, it´s just a cold and I am getting better and better :).

Ich wollte doch schon viel früher von London berichten, aber mich hat´s mit einer fiesen Erkältung erwischt, aber keine Sorge, ist nur ne Erkältung und es wird besser und besser :).

Now here the review of London.

Und nun der Rückblick von London.

After finishing the -Letters meet AMH Quilt- in a hurry to take it with us to London, I knew, there would be two weeks without a sewing machine. 

Nachdem ich den -Letters meet AMH Quilt- in Eile fertig genäht habe, damit wir ihn noch mit nach London nehmen können, wußte ich, dass ich die nächsten zwei Wochen keine Nähmaschine anfassen würde.

Having a great but really exhausting time in London before the FatQuarterRetreat (FQR) with over 30 degree and freezing air conditions in some buildings, we arrived at the FQR on Friday moring starting with a talk at Liberty. I really really enjoyed this talk. designers and a woman like a Liberty-dictionary showed us the history about Liberty and their designs. They have a huge achieve going back over 150 years with pattern and drawings. So Liberty always looks back to find inspirations also in older pattern to transfer it into new and modern design. They showed us collections of the last years by telling stories about them. It was great!!!

Nach eine toller, aber sehr anstrengenden Woche in London for dem FatQuarterRetreat (FQR) bei über 30 Grad und eiskalten Klimaanlagen in einigen Gebäuden, sind wir beim FQR bereits am Freitag morgen zum Liberty Talk aufgebrochen. Das war ein unglaublich tolles Erlebnis. Designerinnen und eine alteingesessene Mitarbeiterin hat uns duch die Geschichte von Liberty geführt und uns das Geheimis des Liberty-Archivs gezeigt. Heute noch nutzen die Designer die alten Muster als Inspiration für neue Desings in modernem Gewand. Auch die Kollektionen mit Geschichten drumherum wurden via Präsentation gezeigt. Das war super!!!

And then the real retreat began. I had four workshops like everybody and I was lucky that I loved all of them.

Und dann begann der echte Retreat. Wie jeder hatte ich vier Workshops, die alle genial waren.

The first one was EPP (English-Paper-Piecing) with curves by the lovey Joanna and Julianna. Love the two of them, so sweet. I used the fabric scaprs of our Goddie-Bag. I am glad I tried this technique, but I am not sure if I will do projects with it. I am the one who loves EPP, but who glues the fabric and paper. Here you have to sew every piece once, before you even start sewing the parts together. Don´t know, if I am patient enough for this. But I will finish my started project to get a last decision about that :). They explained the tecnique wonderful.

Als erstes hatte ich EPP (English-Paper-Piecing) mit Kurven bei der super süßen Joanna und ebenso süßen Julianna. Hier habe ich Stoffe aus unserer Goddie-Bag verwendet. Ich bin echt froh, dass ich diese Technik gelernt habe, auch wenn ich nicht glaube, dass ich das öfter machen werde. Ich liebe PP, aber ich bin diejenige, die die Hexies klebt und nicht heftet. Bei den Kurven ist mir das zu viel Vorbereitung, bis es endlich mit dem richtigen Zusammennähen losgeht ;-).
Sie haben die Technik super erklärt, aber es wird wohl nicht meins hihi.

I have to confess, that I was glad, I already knew some friends from Berlin. I think it could have been really hard to come into it without knowing anybody. I am not shy at all, really, but I was a bit overwhelmed of the masses of people. And at the end I was a bit confused about the people I met (so glad, to those who came to me and said hello!!!), and I really missed some people I wanted to meet or maybe I met them but couldn´t connect first name, flickr-name or blog.... This would be a great wish for the next time: A list with first name, flickr and blog and if the person likes it - a picture!
Sorry in advance, if I couldn´t keep names, this is one of my biggest failings :(.

Ich muss gestehen, dass ich froh bin, dass ich schon einige Freunde aus Berlin kannte. Ich glaube, es wäre sonst schon schwer geworden, richtig warm zu werden. Ich bin wirklich nicht schüchtern, aber mich hat die Masse der Leute doch überwältigt. Am Ende war ich auch ein wenig durcheinander, wen ich nun eigentlich getroffen habt und wen nicht. Bin froh, dass einige direkt auf mich zugekommen sind, so konnte ich sie wenigestens nicht verpassen. Mein Wunsch für´s nächste Mal wäre ein Booklet mit Vornamen, Flickr und Blog und falls die Person es wünscht, auch ein Foto.
Es tut mir echt Leid, fall ich den einen oder anderen Namen nicht behalten habe, das ich eine meiner größten Schwächen :(.

The next day I had two workshops withour sewing and they where fantastic.

Der nächste Tag mit zwei Nähfreien Workshops war fantastisch.

Started with Lynne learning touchdraw on my I-Pad. It costs only 8 Euro and fascinated me totally. If you want to see what I learned here, just join my new QAL {Big} City Girl QAL starting on the first of September. I wanted to draw my pp-patern for the first date on paper and now I almost finished a professional looking pp-pattern already at the retreat. Test my patter LOL. Big thank you to Lynne. Love this programm, because it seams to be much easierer than others, but be aware of using it with other hardware. Maybe it works a bit different to the I-Pads.

Es fing an mit Lynnes Touchdraw für den I-Pad, das Programm kosten nur 8 Euro und hat mich total fasziniert. Wenn ihr wissen wollt, was ich hier gelernt habe, dann macht doch mit bei meinem ersten und neuen QAL {Big} City Girl QAL der am ersten September startet. Ich wollte meine PP-Anleitung ganz normal auf Papier zeichnen, aber nun bekommt ihr eine professionelle Anleitung, testet sie doch einfach aus ;-). Großes Danke schön an Lynne. Ich liebe das Programm, es erscheint mir recht einfach, aber mit anderer Hardware funktioniert es wohl ein wenig anders.

The next big thank you goes to Judith. Yes, I already took out my Digital Camara which I did not use for the last years, because it is so big and heavy. Judith gave us some very useful tips that I really want to give it another try. I will make a kind of a set of pictures at different day-times and different lights and settings to see the differences. Of course I will show you my progress here. But first I have to find my instruction booklet. No idea, where it is ;-).

Als nächstes ein großer Dank an Judith. Ja, ich habe meine digitale Spiegelreflexkamera wieder aus dem Schrank geholt, wo sie die letzten Jahre verweilt hat. Sie war mir einfach zu groß und zu schwer, aber sie bekommt noch eine Chance. Ich möchte mir ein kleines Heft machen und dort die unterschiedlichen Einstellungen und Lichtverhältnisse festhalten. Dafür muss ich aber erstmal die Gebrauchsanleitung finden. Keine Ahnung, wo sie ist ;-).

And finally I learned cathedral windows with Brioni. I always wanted to try them, but as I knew it will be shown at the FQR I hoped to get in this workshop. It it a lot of fun, but the most important thing here is the ironing. And that was the weak point at the workshop. There were not enough of them, but we manged it fine. Will show the finished project too.

Und als letzten Kurs habe ich endlich das Geheimnis um Cathedral Windows mit Hilfe von Brioni gelüftet. Es ist generell nicht kompliziert, aber doch schwer, es sauber und ordentlich auszuführen. Ich wollte das schon immer lernen, daher war es eine geniale Gelegenheit, es gezeigrt zu bekommen. Eines der wichtigesten Punkte hierbei ist das korrekte Bügeln. Hier lag auch der Schwachpunkt an dem Kurs - zu wenige Bügleisen, aber wir haben das dennoch gemanaget. Werde das fertige Projekt dann demnächst zeigen.





 Ah, and I have to show you all my goddies from the retreat - some as a gift, some from the sample swap and some bought (at Tikki, Beyond-Fabrics and the Quiltmarket of the FQR and leather from the Brike Lane Marekt).

Ah, und ich wollte doch noch alle mene Goddies zeigen - einige geschenkt, einige getauscht beim Sample Swap und andere gekauft (Tikki, Beyond-Fabrics und the Quiltmarket of the FQR und Leder vom Brike Lane Marekt).
I had a great time at the FQR even with my cold, and was a bit overwhelmed and hope I made nobody think strange about me, not seeing or greeting somebody. If so, it was just because, it was a bit too much for me :).
I hope, I can mangage to come next year again - lot´s of workshops to do!

Ich hatte eine tolle Zeit beim FQR trotz Erkältung und war ein wenig überwältig - ganz schön viel auf einmal ;-).
Ich hoffe, ich kann nächstes Mal auch dabei sein - es gibt noch ne Menge Worshops, die ich  mitmachen wollte.

And just in case you want to see some more pictures of the retreat :) 

Und falls ihr noch Lust auf mehr Bilder habt :)
Linked with http://fiberofallsorts.blogspot.de/2013/07/july-lovely-year-of-finishes-finishes.html









And if you want to read more about London, you find more here...

Have a great day...

Aylinxxx

18 comments:

  1. I wish I had seen your lullaby words quilt in the flesh - it looks so gorgeous. I also wish I had been in the Cathedral Windows class - Brioni's quilt was beautiful - but I have a book with the technique so I will have a go at home. With a hot iron!

    Glad you had a great time x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved seeing your quilt and was sorry we didn't get to meet properly but I too found it overwhelming. Your blog post sums up perfectly how challenging it was to meet people and remember/connect them to blog names.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was wonderful to meet you.
    Your quilt is very very inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Liebe Aylin, herzlichen Dank für den London-Review und Glückwunsch zu deinem tollen Quilt. Ich freue mich, daß du es geschafft hast ihn noch fertigzustellen.
    Liebe Grüße von mir

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aylin, it was so nice to meet you in person! You're really sweet, but at the same time so reasonable. We had a great evening with you and the rest of 'German' girls:) I'm a bit jeleaous that Joanna will have opportunity to meet all of you in Germany. But if you ever visit Poland, just let me know - I could be your tour guide:)))

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE that quilt, Aylin. And I love my swap items (as you know!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. was für ein schöner recap, vielen Dank dafür und ja, es war schön, dass wir uns endlich mal "in echt" getroffen haben!! Bis ganz bald hoffentlich
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aylin it sounds like a wonderful retreat! I believe all conferences are just as you describe...fun, inspiring, a lot of people, an abundance of information to take back home...and sometimes coming home with a cold! As a teacher I go to a lot of conferences and these are all things I have felt, too. I'll look forward to seeing and hearing more about what you learned as you share in future posts!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hört sich nach einer tollen Zeit an. Freut mich für Dich.
    Den Quilt finde ich noch immer fantastisch, die Dreiecke liebe ich. Das sieht einfach schön aus. Und die Buchstaben, besonders aber der Text sind auch toll. Klasse Werk!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Soso, dann weiß ich jetzt auch, womich mich angesteckt habe... ;o)
    War schön Dich kennen zu lernen!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like you had an amazing time! The quilt you made for your daughter is beautiful... you did an amazing job fininshing it in time for the retreat :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mensch das klingt ja alles wirklich toll, was du da erlebt hast - danke für die schönen Eindrücke!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So happy to see all the pictures and so glad you had fun! Feel better soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am so glad to have met you in person. I too find the whole thing very overwhelming and fast, I wish I had taken a minute to sit and chat longer with you. It will have to be next time. I love all your pictures, I saw those shoes in your first picture on Sunday. I hope your cold disappears soon, I am just very tired from the long airplane trip.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It was lovely to meet you Aylin! Hope you feel better soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks like you had a fun time :o) The good news is that all Canon DSLR manuals are available as PDFs online if you can't find yours.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It was so nice to meet you and see your beautiful lullaby quilt Aylin!! I hope that your daughter had a fun time as well. Great report!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sounds like you had a wonderful time - so many things happening. It's good you enjoyed each of your workshops.

    ReplyDelete

You make my day with your comment!
Dein Kommentar freut mich ungemein!

I will answer every comment via E-Mail. If you are a No-Reply-Blogger it will not work always :)
Ich werde jeden Kommentar via e-mail beantworten! Bei No-Reply Bloggern wird es manchmal schwierig mit dem Antworten :)